Purpose. The research purpose was to study the relationship of metacognitive strategies with indicators of mental self-regulation of an athlete: regulatory and volitional processes.
Research methods and organization. The type of study is an empirical psychological testing. Methods: “Metacognitive strategies in decision making in difficult situations” questionnaire, “Difficulties of self-regulation in sports-significant situations” questionnaire, “Scale of action control” questionnaire, "Style of self-regulation of behavior" questionnaire. Sample group: 134 qualified athletes (54 men and 80 women) aged 18-23 years, engaged in various sports.
Research results. The frequency of applying theorizing and reflecting strategies by athletes (men and women) is connected with the characteristics of volitional regulation, and the frequency of controlling cognitive processes is connected with programming of activities. We found some differences in the relationship of metacognitive strategies with regulatory processes in male and female athletes. We determined that increasing effectiveness of metacognitive strategies reduces difficulties of mental self-regulation: it is easier for athletes to restrain negative emotions, become ambitious and more active. Growing effectiveness of a number of metacognitive strategies is connected with increasing awareness of athletes' self-regulation.
Conclusion. The research revealed statistically significant connections of metacognitive strategies with regulatory and volitional processes of athletes. Increasing the frequency of use and effectiveness of metacognitive strategies can both improve and deteriorate athletes’ mental self-regulation. The research results can be used to develop recommendations for the individualization of metacognitive strategies, taking into account the gender of athletes and the goals of sports training.
- Bagadirova S.К. Metakognitivnye navyki sportsmena kak resurs povysheniia ego rezultativnosti (postanovka problemy) [Metakognitive skills of an athlete as a resource for performance improvement (formulation of the problem)]. Sportivnyi psikholog [Sports psychologist], 2019. no. 2(53), pр. 17-20. (in Russ.).
- Vygotskii L.S. Psikhologiia razvitiia cheloveka [Psychology of human development], Moscow: Smysl, Eksmo, 2005, pp. 321-357. (in Russ).
- Karpov A.A., Karpov A.V. Vvedenie v metakognitivnuiu psikhologiiu [Introduction to metacognitive psychology], Moscow: Izdatelstvo Moskovskogo psikhologosotsialnogo universiteta[Publishing house of Moscow University of Psychology and Sociology], 2015, 512 p. (in Russ).
- Karpov A.A. Spetsifika vzaimosviazi refleksivnosti i samoaktualizatsii lichnosti [The specifics of the relationship of reflexivity and self-actualization of an individual], Iaroslavskii psikhologicheskii vestnik [Iaroslavl bulletin of psychology], 2019, no. 3 (45), pр. 6-11.
- Lazareva O.V. K voprosu o vliianii metakognitivnykh protsessov na ponimanie nauchnogo teksta [On the issue of influence of metacognitive processes on the understanding of a scientific text] Vestnik YUrGU [YUrGU bulletin]. Seriia: Psikhologiia [Series: Psychology], 2012, no.31, pр. 13-17.
- Loviagina А. Е., Andreev V. V., Shtukkert A. L. Metakognitivnye strategii sportsmenov pri priniatii reshenii v trudnykh situatsiiakh sportivnoi karery [Metacognitive strategies of athletes when making decisions in difficult situations of sports career] Sportivnyi psikholog [Sports psychologist], 2019. no. 3 (54), pр. 11-14. (in Russ.).
- Morosanova V.I., Bondarenko I.N. Diagnostika samoreguliatsii cheloveka [Human Self-Regulation Diagnostics]. Moscow, Cogito-Center Publ., 2015, pp. 11-72. (in Russ.)
- Morosanova V.I. Osoznannaia samoreguliatsiia cheloveka kak metaresurs dostizheniia uchebnykh i professionalnykh tselei [Person conscious self-regulation as a meta-resource for achieving educational and professional goals], Lichnost, Intellekt, Metakognitsii: issledovatelskie podkhody i obrazovatelnye praktiki. Materialy II Mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii [Personality. Intelligence. Metacognitions: Proceedings of the II International Scientific and Practical Conference], Kaluga, K. E. Tsiolkovskii Kaluga State University [Kaluzhskii Gosudarstvennyi universitet im. K. E. Tsiolkovskogo] April 2017: ed. AKF “Polytop”, pp.104-114, (in Russ.).
- Tiunova O.V. Organizatsionnye aspekty planirovaniia i realizatsii psikhologo-pedagogicheskogo obespecheniia sportivnoi deiate'nosti [Organizational aspects of planning and implementation of psychological and pedagogical support of sports activities] Sportivnyi psikholog [Sports psychologist], 2019, no. 1(52), pр. 4-7. (in Russ.).
- Shapkin S.A. Eksperimentalnoe izuchenie volevykh protsessov [Experimental study of volitional processes], Moscow: Smysl. IP RAS, 1997, pp. 22-34 (in Russian).
- Kholodnaia M.A. Psikhologiia intellekta. Paradoksy issledovaniia [Psychology of intelligence. Research Paradoxes], SPb.: Piter. – 2002. – 272 p.
- Brick N., Macintyre Т., Campbell М. Metacognitive processes in the self-regulation of performance in elite endurance runners. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 2015, V.19, pр. 1–9.
- Halpern D.F. Thought and knowledge: An introduction to critical thinking, New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Accociates, 1996. – 380 p.
- Kuhl J., Beckmann J. A theory of action and state orientations in Volition and personality: Action versus state orientation., Eds. Göttingen Germany: Hogrefe, 1994. – pp. 9-46.
- MacIntyre Т., Igou E.R., Moran A.P., Campbell M., Matthews J. Metacognition and action: a new pathway to understanding social and cognitive aspects of expertise in sport Frontiers in psychology, 2014. no.5, pp. 1151-1155.
- Roberts M.J., Erdos G. Strategy selection and metacognition Educational Psychology, 1993. V.13, pp. 259-266.
- Seamster T.L., Redding R.E., Kaempf G.L. A skill-based cognitive task analysis framework. Cognitive task analysis. New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Accociates, 2000. – pp. 135-146.