The aim of the research is to identify the quantitative characteristics of weight reduction by Kyokushin athletes, as well as the analysis of the following indicators: 1) the number and percentage of athletes with experience in reducing weight prior to major competitions; 2) the absolute magnitude and percentage of weight loss by athletes in Kyokushin; 3) dependence of these characteristics of weight reduction on the weight categories and gender of athletes.
Research methods and organization. The research analyzes the anonymous survey (questionnaire) of participants of the largest official All-Russian Kyokushin competitions 2019. We obtained, statistically processed and analyzed the following quantitative characteristics of weight reduction: 1) for adult athletes – prior to the All-Russian trials for the World competition (Moscow, May 1-2, 2019, elite athletes); 2) for young athletes – prior to the All-Russian competitions in the framework of the 12th All-Russian Junior Martial Arts Games (Anapa, September 12-15, 2019, highly qualified athletes aged 12-17).
Research results and discussion. The research revealed that the quantitative characteristics of weight reduction by kyokushin athletes prior to competitions significantly differ from data on other (primarily Olympic) sports; the practice of weight loss is less common. Characteristics of adult athletes are as follows: 1) weight loss is associated more with weight adjustment, and not with the change of the weight category; 2) men reduce their weight prior to competitions more intensively than women; 3) in the “lower” weight categories, the percentage of athletes with experience in reducing weight is almost 2 times higher among men and 1.5 times among women. Characteristics of young athletes are as follows: 1) weight loss is 5kg maximum; 2) a large percentage of male and female athletes reduce weight by less than 3%; 3) there is a significant correlation between the number of participants in the category and the athletes with experience in reducing weight.
Conclusion. Weight reduction by a kyokushin athlete prior to competitions can be considered as the training reserve for competitive kyokushin activity, which is currently underutilized.
1. Kazilov M.M., Podlivaev B.A. [Problems of weight reduction and performance improvement in wrestling]. Izvestiia Moskovskogo gos. tekhn. un-ta MAMI. [Newsletter of MAMI Moscow State. Tech. University], 2014, Vol. 5. no. 2(20), pp. 155-162. (In Russ.).
3. Mushaev A.B., Galimianova A.R., Aedleeva B.A., Minkov A.V., Baldashinov I.T. [Theoretical recommendations on weight reduction for students practicing martial arts]. Fizicheskaia kultura, sport i turizm v vysshem obrazovanii. Nauchnye trudy XXIX Vserossiiskoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii studentov, aspirantov, molodykh uchenykh. [Physical culture, sport and tourism in higher education. Proceedings of the XXIX All-Russian Conference on Science and Practice for Students, Postgraduates, Young Scientists]. Rostov-na-Donu, 2018. Pp. 86-90. (In Russ.).
4. Platonov V.N. Sistema podgotovki sportsmenov v olimpiiskom sporte. Obshchaia teoriia i ee prakticheskie prilozheniia [The system of training athletes in the Olympic sport. General theory and its practical applications]. Moscow, Soviet Sport Publ. [Sovetskii sport] , 2005. 820 p. (In Russ.)
5. Poleva N.V. Formirovanie gotovnosti bortsov k sorevnovaniiam v granitsakh izbrannoi vesovoi kategorii: avtoref. dis. ... kand. ped. nauk [Training wrestlers for competitions within the chosen weight category: abstr. dis. … Cand. of Ped. Sciences]. Krasnoiarsk, 2010. 24 p. (In Russ.).
6. Ministry of Sport of the Russian Federation. Svodnyj otchet po forme federalnogo statisticheskogo nabliudeniia №1-FK «Svedeniia o fizicheskoi kulture i sporte» za 2018 god [The summary report on the form of federal statistical observation №1-FC "Data on physical culture and sport" 2018] Available at: https://www.minsport.gov.ru/2019/doc/Svodnii-otshet-1fk-za_2018.xls, free access, access mode: 20.07.2018 (in Russ.).
7. Ushenin A.I., Arsenev V.A., Orudzhev A.M. [Weight reduction by athletes involved in hand-to-hand combat]. Fizicheskaia kultura i sport v professionalnoi deiatelnosti. Sovremennye napravleniia i obrazovatelnye tekhnologii: materialy V mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii. [Physical culture and sport in professional activities. Current trends and educational technologists: proceedings of the V International Conference on Science and Practice]. Saint-Petersburg: Saint-Petersburg University of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia [Sankt-Peterburgskii un-t MVD Rossii], 2017. Pp. 296-299. (In Russ.).
8. Sundgot-Borgen J., Garthe I. Elite athletes in aesthetic and Olympic weight-class sports and the challenge of body weight and body compositions // Journal of Sports Sciences. – 2011. – Vol. 29.sup1. – Pp. 101-114.
10. Moghaddami A., Gerek Z., Karimiasl A., Nozohouri H. Kinematic analysis of the effect of rapid weight loss by sauna on elite wrestlers’ single leg takedown technique // European journal of physical education and sport. – 2015. – Vol. 4 (10). – P. 197-205
11. Fortes L.S., Costa B.D.V., Paes P.P., Cyrino E.S., Vianna J.M., Franchini E. Effect of rapid weight loss on physical performance in judo athletes: is rapid weight loss a help for judokas with weight problems? // International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport. – 2017. – Vol. 17. – № 5. – pp. 763-773