This article presents a set of tests for the functional assessment of various long-term adaptive processes in the body of fencers and their level of physical performance, selected on the basis of modern scientific data and corresponding to the specifics of the sport.
The purpose is to summarize the data of scientific and methodological literature on the tests, which used in fencing, reflecting the functional fitness of fencers and to show the possibilities of their practical use.
Methods and organization of the research. 12 fencers, on average (±SD) 15.7 ± 0.8 years of age, were tested. They have 6.7 ± 1.7 years of fencing experience, including 9 female and 3 male athletes. Athletes' sports qualifications ranged from the second sports qualification to Candidate for Master of Sports. We used: 5- and 15-second Wingate test on the hand and foot ergometers Monark 891E and Monark 894E; Romberg's test, supplemented with a specific load on the stabilographic hardware-software complex "Stabilan 01-2"; body composition assessment by means of the Tanita BC-543 bioimpedance meter; determination of psychophysiological and strength indicators by means of the hardware-software complex NS-Psychotest; assessment of the aerobic performance of fencers bodies by means of the FET test (Fencing endurance test).
Results and discussion. The used set of functional tests for fencers allowed us to obtain the following reference indicators: body weight – 59.6±5.5 kg, fat content – 16.8±7.2%, muscle mass – 46.8±7.3 kg, peak power of the hands– 7.8±5.06 w/kg and legs (w/muscle mass) – 12.1±5.8 kg, time of passing the FET test – 860.3±245.1 s, lactate after FET – 5.7±1.7 mmol/l, maximum strength of the right hand (33.3±9,6) and the left (31,04±8,9) hand, as well as the results of stabilometric and psychophysiological tests.
Conclusion. The formed set of functional tests will be necessary to optimize the training process and individualize the physical training of athletes, assess the level of physical and psychological fitness in order to achieve high sports results. At the same time, the indicators obtained with the set of selected functional tests can be used as model characteristics of 15-17-year-old fencers.
- Aranson M.V., Ozolin E.S., Tuponogova O.V., Shustin B.N. [Physiological aspects of Olympic single combats (literature review)]. Vestnik sportivnoy nauki [Bulletin of sports science], 2018, no. 5, pp. 81-85. (in Russ.)
- Zbigniew B., Daryush N. [A new look at the problem of identifying talent in single combat (by the example of fencing)] Academic notes of P.F. Lesgaft University, 2008, no. 3, pp. 25-29. (in Russ.)
- Abdrakhmanova A.Sh., Mavliev F.A., Nazarenko A.S. [Informative methods of complex functional testing of physical fitness among high-class fencers]. 16-ya vsorossiyskaya nauchno-prakticheskaya konferenzia «Nauchno-metodicheskie problem sportivnogo fehtovaniya» [16th All-Russian Scientific and Practical Conference "Scientific and Methodological Problems of Sports Fencing"], 2020, pp. 37-48. (in Russ.)
- Issurin V.B. Podgotovka sportsmenov 21 veka [Training of athletes of the 21st century]. Moscow, 2016. - 464 p.
- Kremer W.D., Rogol A.D. Endocrinnaya sistema, sport i dvigatelnaya activnost [Endocrine system, sports and physical activity], Kiev: Olympic Literature, 2005. – 600 p.
- Nazarenko A.S., Mavliev F.A. [The influence of the specificity of sports activity on the statokinetic stability of highly qualified athletes]. Science and sport: current trends, 2018, vol. 21, no. 4. – pp. 37-43. (in Russian)
- Megzdunarodnaya Federaziya Fehtovania: Sportsmeny i reitingi [International Fencing Federation: Athletes and ranking]. Available at: https://fie.org/athletes (date of access: 15.01.2020)
- Pereyaslov G.A., Plum S.S. [Methodological support of the stabiloanalyzer "Stabilan 01"]. News of the Southern Federal University. Technical science, 2002, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 82-88. (in Russ.)
- Repko E.A., Kozina J.L., Karyuchenko D.N. [Features of psychophysiological functions of fencers in comparison with the leader of cyclic and game sports]. Zdorovie, sport, reabilitazia [Health, sports, rehabilitation], 2018, no. 2, pp. 96-105. (in Russ.)
- Sedochenko S.V., Sabirova I.A., Germanov G.N. [The use of urgent information with biological feedback for the correction of the operative posture of fencers and tennis players]. Uchenye zapiski universiteta imeni Lesgafta [Academic notes of P.F. Lesgaft University], 2015, no. 3, pp. 121-129. (in Russian)
- Sergienko L.P. Sportivny otbor: teoriya I practika [Sports selection: theory and practice], Moscow, 2013. – 1048 p.
- Sobchak A., Smulsky V.L. [Factor structure and estimated levels of anaerobic-aerobic capabilities of qualified foil fencers]. Pedagogy of physical culture and sport, 2007, no. 9, pp. 122-126. (in Russian)
- Solonshchikova V.S., Mavliev F.A., Manina A.Z. [Methodological aspects of the Wingate test and their theoretical justification]. Nauka I sport: sovremennye tendenzii [Science and sport: current trends], 2019, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 75-81. (in Russian)
- Tkachuk V.G., Jagiello V., Tadeusz J. [Psychophysiological features of women engaged in fencing]. Pedagogy of physical culture and sport, 2008, no. 2, pp.1-12. (in Russian)
- Wilmore D.H., D.L. Costill Physiologia sporta [Physiology of sport]. Kiev: Olympic Literature, 2001. – 503 p.
- Khabibullina, I.R., Rumyantseva E.R. [The influence of physical loads on various links in the blood system of fencers]. Man. Sport. The medicine, 2006, no. 3-1, pp .46-47. (in Russian)
- Yasko L.V. [Characteristics of the psychophysiological state of qualified athletes specializing in fencing with epee, during the specific biological cycle of the female body]. Pedagogy, psychology and medico-biological problems of physical education in sports, 2002, no. 13, pp. 96-101. (in Russian)
- Agosti, V. Fencing Functional Training System (FFTS): A New Pedagogical-Educational Training Project. Sport Scince, 2020, vol. 13, pp. 118-122.
- Barth, B. The complete guide to fencing / B. Barth, E. Beck. – Meyer & Meyer Verlag, 2007. – 366 p.
- Chtara H., Negra Y., Chaabene H., Chtara M., Cronin J., Chaouachi A. Validity and Reliability of a New Test of Change of Direction in Fencing Athletes. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 2020, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 4545.
- Chung J., Kim T.W., Woo S.S., Lee O. W. Examination of Physique and Fitness in Elite National Fencing Athletes. The Official Journal of the Korean Academy of Kinesiology, 2016, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 19-31.
- De Innocentiis C., Ricci F., Khanji M., Aung N., Tana C., Verrengia E., Petersen S., Gallina S. Athlete’s heart: diagnostic challenges and future perspectives. Sports Medicine, 2018, vol. 48, no. 11, pp. 2463-2477.
- Gutierrez-Davila M., Rojas F.J., Antoni R., Navarro E. Response timing in the lunge and target change in elite versus medium-level fencers. European Journal of Sport Science, 2013, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 364-371.
- Hernandez-Belmonte A., Buendia-Romero A., Martinez-Cava A., Courel-Ibanez J., Mora-Rodríguez R., Pallares J. G. Wingate Test, When Time and Overdue Fatigue Matter: Validity and Sensitivity of Two Time-Shortened Versions. Applied Sciences, 2020, vol. 10, no. 22, pp. 8002.
- Herpin G., Gauchard G.C., Lion A., Keller D., Perrin P.P. Sensorimotor specificities in balance control of expert fencers and pistol shooters. Journal of electromyography and kinesiology, 2010, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 162-169.
- Krishnan A., Sharma C.D., Bhatt C.M, C.A. Dixit C.A., Pradeep P.Comparison between standing broad jump test and wingate test for assessing lower limb anaerobic power in elite sportsmen. Medical Journal Armed Forces India, 2017, vol. 73, no. 2, pp. 140-145.
- Maron B. J., Pelliccia A. The heart of trained athletes: cardiac remodeling and the risks of sports, including sudden death. Circulation, 2006, vol. 114, no. 15, pp. 1633-1644.
- Milia R., Roberto S., Pinna M., Palazzolo G., Sanna I., Omeri M., Piredda S., Magliaccio G., Concu A., Crisafulli A. Physiological responses and energy expenditure during competitive fencing. Applied physiology, nutrition, and metabolism, 2014, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 324-328.
- Ntai A., Zahou F., Paradisis G., Smirniotou A., Tsolakis C. Anthropometric parameters and leg power performance in fencing. Age, sex and discipline related differences. Science & Sports, 2017, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 135-143.
- Olmsted L.C., Carcia C.R., Hertel J., Shultz S.J. Efficacy of the star excursion balance tests in detecting reach deficits in subjects with chronic ankle instability. Journal of athletic training, 2002, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 501.
- Paul, M. Balance in fencing: Its Association to and effects on sport performance. International Journal po Physiology, Nutrition and Physical Education, 2019, vol. 20, no. 2.873, pp. 318-320.
- Poulis I., Chatzis S., Christopoulou K. Isokinetic strength during knee flexion and extension in elite fencers. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 2009, vol. 108, no. 3, pp. 949-961.
- Roi G. S., Bianchedi D. The science of fencing. Sports medicine, 2008, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 465-481.
- Sorel A., Plantard P., Bideau N., Pontonnier C. Studying fencing lunge accuracy and response time in uncertain conditions with an innovative simulator. Plos One, 2019, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 1-17.
- Turner A.N., Kilduff L., Marshall G., Phillips J., Noto A, Buttigieg C., Gondek M., Hills F., Dimitriou L. Competition intensity and fatigue in elite fencing. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 2017, vol. 31, no. 11, pp. 3128-3136.
- Turner, A. N. Physical preparation for fencing: tailoring exercise prescription and training load to the physiological and biomechanical demands of competition. PhD dissertation. Middlesex University, London, 2016.
- Turner A.N., Miller S., Stewart P., Cree J., Ingram R., Dimitriou L., Moody J., Kilduff L. Strength and conditioning for fencing. Strength & Conditioning Journal, 2013, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 1-9.
- Ugras, A. Effect of high intensity interval training on muay Thai athletes’ mineral levels. The Anthropologist, 2017, vol. 27, no. 1-3, pp. 125-133.
- Vertopoulos E., Tsolakis C., Remoundou M. A preliminary study of visual memory and rule detection in fencing. A comparative study. Biology of Exercise, 2010, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 37-45.
- Weichenberger M., Liu Y., Steinacker J.M. A test for determining endurance capacity in fencers. International journal of sports medicine, 2012, vol. 33, no 1, pp. 48-52.